Only 10 days to go beforeRowingChat with Tim McLaren. He will help answer your questions about rowing, coaching and training.
What are your rowing questions that he can help answer?
Take a read of the ones sent in to us…. Add yours in the comments below
- Any advice on how to be a good rowing captain?
- Where do I find advice & details about body resistance circuits?
- How to develop coaches without it costing so much?
- How to cope with an influx of new joiners full of post-Olympic enthusiasm
- What is the best method to deal with underperformance on 2km tests – compared to performances in other standard tests such R20 30 min, 5km, 3x6km etc.
- What types of questions do you receive from coaches looking for support?
- Can you explain the physics and biomechanics behind good rowing? Why do people who get the best weight adjusted ergo times / power do not perform as well as others on the water?
- How do you deter your athletes from binge drinking when the athletic union promotes it a minimum of once a week!
- What is the best way to maintain/ improve strength and flexibility to get faster and avoid injury in older age, especially for women.
- • Are there any breathing or other exercises to help manage asthma while rowing?
- • What should I be doing at a level between highest club level and high performance level? There doesn’t seem to be much support for athletes who fall in the middle of these 2 categories
- How can I push myself that bit harder?
- I’m a 17 year old 69kg lightweight, should I prioritise strength training or fitness
- Adults: is it worth teaching them to row through a program, or should our club ditch it and focus on junior rowing?
- How would you suggest that those who run clubs/programs try to make the sport more financially accessible for potential rowers, both youth and masters?
- Have you studied how new to rowing, competitive masters learn best?
- how do you fix a bad body position in the drive phase? I open up my body to early, and need to learn to wait. also how do u learn to have a fast catch
- What do you think is largely responsible for generation of boat speed at club level – technique or physiology?
- How can we make this sport more accessible to people with varying heights?
- How much team bonding events that have nothing to do with rowing do you hold in a year?
- Is there a career pathway for coaches who may not have rowed at the elite level themselves? How do they get the chance to prove themselves?
- What do you tell yourself as you complete rowing pieces alone?