The Masters Rowing International group on Facebook has a great discussion thread about how to cope with Florida heat if you are coming to Nathan Benderson Park for the FISA Masters Regatta on September 27-30 2018.
13 Recommendations for rowing (and surviving) in the heat
- Consider drinking about 20 oz water before coming to venue and then quite often during the day.
- Electrolyte drinks are a good solution too, my personal preference is Gatorade. Alternate between water and something with electrolytes.
- Secondary consideration is protection from the sun with clothing and sunscreen.
- Get lots of (wrist) sweat bands. You can get them in FL at any sporting goods stores. Double up in them and you can dry you hands and handles.
- If you really sweat then I’d use some 3m micropore tape on your fingers to improve grip.
- Bring a small towel on board for wiping the hands. Microfiber towels are best (the kind used by campers) and keep it with you in the boat, this serves a dual purpose for drying sweat and you can wet it in the water and use it to cool off while waiting in the start queue.
- Bring multiple changes of clothes , and
- If you’re not used to racing in a hat or visor, get used to it now – it will be a necessity.
- Bonus to wearing a hat over a visor – you can put some ice on your head to slowly melt. Or quickly melt as the case may be!
- Polarized sunglasses
- I always keep pretzels and salty snacks on hand to retain water.
- The heat often makes my appetite next to nothing, even if I know I should refuel. Sometimes all I can get down is some honey mixed with a little peanut butter….maybe a tablespoon full – but worked for me if times between races was limited.
- The rest tents with air conditioning will be your best friend ever.
And some things to avoid
- Drinking a lot is great, but if you just pee it all out it’s no good – especially if you have to pee at the start!
- Wash your hands thoroughly after applying sunscreen. Otherwise it can be a slippery grip.
Anything else you can think which could be helpful? Add your ideas in the comments below.
Rowperfect UK Limited will use the information you provide on this form to be in touch with you and to provide updates, rowing tips and product marketing. Please check the following box to sign up to our newsletter.
You can change your mind at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of any email you receive from us, or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will treat your information with respect. For more information about our privacy practices please visit our website. By clicking below, you agree that we may process your information in accordance with these terms.
We use Mailchimp as our marketing platform. By clicking below to subscribe, you acknowledge that your information will be transferred to Mailchimp for processing. Learn more about Mailchimp’s privacy practices here.