Hi, I am a beginner and struggle to find any club that will have me. I am in one disabled group but we are not competitive at all, which means there is little motivation. And another is still considering if I can stay and not pose a ‘risk’ of accidents.
Where can I find information to advance my rowing online?
This has been a great challenge because we have found nowhere online which helps and aggregates information for para rowing. [It doesn’t help that the term has been changed from disabled to adaptive to para-rowing in the past dozen years!]
So Rowperfect has taken on the challenge.
Resources for Para Rowing
- Athletes without limits a facebook group
- US Para Rowing Facebook Group
- Resolute Rowing Adaptive the boat making business has supported adaptive for years
- British Rowing has an Adaptive Rowing page for learning to row
- Coach Tara of Seize The Oar (www.seizetheoar.com) runs multi-week training programs for LTA and AS rowers.She was our guest on The Rowing & Aging RowingChat Podcast
- Ergo-AS TrainingGuide (Arms and Shoulders) – includes workout sequences for erg and strength weights. Written by Coach Tara of Seize The Oar
- Marlene Royle – has done individual programs for three adaptive rowers that have been on the US National and Olympic teams. Two silver medallists in Bejing Mx 4+ and Betsy Mitchell who was US team in 2015 TA Mix2x.
- Adaptive rigging survey from London 2012 compiled by FISA
- USRowing Guide to Adaptive Rowing 2015
- One year training program by Community Rowing for adaptive athletes
- Swim tests for Adaptive Rowers
- Remote Coxswain box – a steering device to retro-fit to coxless boats that enables the coach to steer / guide from the coaching boat
Anyone got more I can list here? I particularly want online resources, tools, instructional guides rather than local clubs with programs (though feel free to list them in the comments below).