There is a great discussion thread on RSR about what should go into a rowing boat storage building.
A couple of pitfalls I’ve seen
- erg room without decent ventilation – and width to put ergs facing each other (they were herringbone)
- overhanging balcony with pillars below so you can’t get an 8 out and turn the corner to put it on the water safely
- pits for oars to hang in that flood (and at the back of the boathouse as someone else said)
And some opportunities to make the building as flexible as possible
- flexible racking which can be adjusted and the vertical displacement varied as your needs change – Check out the new Tideway Scullers 1x shed being built just now – it has a longer overlap between stern/bow of boats than you’d think possible and gets 90 boats into a small space
- I saw Austin Texas RC which has chicken wire on the bottom 2 feet of the sides so the river can flood in and out safely
- allow space for hanging riggers in the gaps between racks (also good for storing sculling oars)
- space under the bottom rack for boats on wheels / trestles
What are your suggestions?