My name is Sam Smith and I’m 16 years old and I row for Taunton Rowing Club. We row on the River Tone in the heart of Taunton town centre, Somerset. We were originally Wimbleball Rowing Club.
We are a very small club of only 50 members and funding is hard!
The boat I row in at the moment is a Swift Elite for someone who is 85-110 kg. It isn’t right for me at all as I only weigh 76 kg so I am extremely over boated. The Swift is the only decent ‘raceworthy’ single skull at the club.
I started rowing in 2013 and had my first event in May 2014 where I won the J15 single. Last season was my first full racing season The events I have won since May 2014 are:-
- Monmouth Regatta 2014 J15 single
- Wimbleball Regatta 2014 J15 single, J15 mixed double
- Dart Totnes Regatta 2014 men’s novice single
- Gloucester Regatta 2014 J17 double
- Monmouth Head IM3 double
- Cardiff Head 2015 J16 single
- Monmouth Regatta 2015 J16 single, J18 double (Saturday 23rd May)
- Monmouth Regatta 2015 J16 double (Sunday 24th May)
- Wimbleball Regatta 2015 J16 single (2nd/8)
- Exeter Regatta 2015 J16 single (2nd/8)
- Totness Regatta 2015 IM3 single (2nd/12), J16 single (2nd/12)
Next season I am competing at all the above events including National Schools and National Championships. Also I will be trialling for GB Juniors. I am currently in training for these events in 2016.
I am looking to purchase a Reverse Wing Wintech International single scull which costs £3,900 excluding VAT.
Wintech boats are beautiful – they are light, fast and VERY robust.
If anyone is willing to donate/sponsor me and help me fulfil my goal I will have your name displayed proudly on the side of my boat.
Hope you can help out.