What basic exercises can you do to increase your hip tilt?
Expert coach, Raf Wyatt replies
Do we assume you’re doing what you can to lengthen your hamstrings and strengthen your core muscles already?
And that you’ve raised and tilted your seat and/or lowered your feet in the boat?
And that you’re sitting forward on the seat, sit-bones located in the holes provided?
How to improve hip tilt
Then my favourite exercise to improve hip tilt is backing down:
- Sit at backstops, legs straight, blades square in the water.
- Keeping the blades in the water, start by pushing the handle(s) away, say until the handles are over your knees.
- Then, without moving your seat, let the movement of the boat and your handle(s) stretch you forward.
- Lift your knees lightly once your hamstrings start complaining and just keep on following the handle(s) to the catch.
- You can stop the handle(s) moving forward at any part of the stroke by putting pressure on your feet and taking a stroke.
I find there’s something about letting the boat move you into position that has the movement start in your hips rather than back and shoulders.
Give it a go and let us know what happens!