It’s that time of year when the northern hemisphere starts winter training and the southern hemisphere schools begin their summer programme. We have pulled together a check list of things to do for a rowing club at the start of the season:
- Sweep out the boathouse – yep, dusty and dirty it is and spick and span it will be
- Put away those riggers lying on the floor between the boat racks. Maybe get a hanging rack for wing riggers.
- Service ergos – you can do it yourself instructions for C2 and for RP (page 12-13)
- Service boats – make a list of minor repairs needed for each boat. We used a check-list for every club boat.
- Service cox boxes –
- Check the rigging – span, pitch, heel restraints, oarlocks aren’t too worn, make sure slides won’t cut anybody if they have lost their rubber end stoppers.
- Buy an indelible marker and re-label things – oar lengths (use white electrical tape around the shaft and write the length:inboard), seats (name of boat and seat number), label the racks so the correct boat goes on the correct rack
- Coxing wires, coxless boat steering wires, steering shoes – check they all work and wires move freely- add WD 40 lubricant if needed.
- Coaching boat motors – get it serviced, check the oil.