Recent innovation of carbon tubular riggers by Filippi and Empacher boat builders, means that a new rigging pitch tool was needed.
Pitch Meter for C-Cup rowing and sculling riggers
Enter the carbon rigger pitch gauge for tubular riggers.
Itzok Cop with carbon c-cup rigger
This was needed because the C-cup construction of the rigger means that the oarlock can move in both fore/aft and lateral directions if the holding nuts are loosened. A pitch gauge with two spirit levels was the answer. Here’s how to use it.
How to use the Carbon Rigger pitch gauge for sweep and scull
- Secure boat both side to side and end to end
- You might like to put another spirit level across the boat to ensure that the lateral position does not move
- Set up the bubbles to zero for both lateral and horizontal pitch on the boat (usually deck for lateral and keel for horizontal)
- Carefully move the pitch gauge over the gate / pin on one side and clamp the locating pins on the gauge into the small holes drilled in the top and bottom of the bolts holding the pin in place
- Set the required measurements adjusting the pin (usually this is zero for both or 1 degree lateral and zero degree horizontal)
- Tighten the pin in place and repeat for the other oarlock