Recent innovation of carbon tubular riggers by Filippi and Empacher boat builders, means that a new rigging pitch tool was needed.
Enter the carbon rigger pitch gauge for tubular riggers.
This was needed because the C-cup construction of the rigger means that the oarlock can move in both fore/aft and lateral directions if the holding nuts are loosened. A pitch gauge with two spirit levels was the answer. Here’s how to use it.
How to use the Carbon Rigger pitch gauge for sweep and scull
1. Secure boat both side to side and end to end
2. You might like to put another spirit level across the boat to ensure that the lateral position does not move
3. Set up the bubbles to zero for both lateral and horizontal pitch on the boat (usually deck for lateral and keel for horizontal)
4. Carefully move the pitch gauge over the gate / pin on one side and clamp the locating pins on the gauge into the small holes drilled in the top and bottom of the bolts holding the pin in place
5. Set the required measurements adjusting the pin (usually this is zero for both or 1 degree lateral and zero degree horizontal)
6. Tighten the pin in place and repeat for the other oarlock