Rowperfect did a quick ‘straw poll’ of reader’s views about the British Rowing constitution changes
- most BR members don’t know whether Clubs and Events currently have a vote
- most BR members are members a) via the tax on club membership headcount and b) for a racing licence – otherwise would not join BR
- most BR members don’t even attend their own club AGMs and so voting / not voting isn’t a priority
- most people don’t know who votes now, most don’t know who Div Rep is, most don’t know how to have a say!
- recent changes to Board were seen as removing people who know rowing from the picture
- BR HQ seems now very short on rowers / people who know the sport – a lot of what used to be done has been ‘centralised’ (individual events on social media all under BR general now) – we used to be a sport run professionally by volunteers
- Members are most upset over redundancies for regional coaches like Perse Thompson and Rob Cree.
- With the proscribed changes and the shaky introduction of the new points system the Communications team at HQ need to get out of Hammersmith and listen / consult – let’s hope the recent membership survey shows them that!
Any other views out there? Add to the comments please.