Greg Spooner is a physiotherapist with deep expertise in rowing and movement analysis. Our chat covers how to deal with injury as a coach and as an athlete.
Timestamps to the show
- 01.00 Introduction and background in rowing
- 02.00 Rowing the Atlantic and why you should bring more food.
- 04:00 My approach to injury rehabilitation
- 08:00 Recurring injuries and why your spine is like a balloon filled with toothpaste
- 12:00 Foundation of good mobility – 2 exercises to loosen your back
- 15:00 Advice to coaches – stress communication about aches and pains.
- 19:00 Sleep is a performance-enhancing drug for sport
- 23:00 Advice for masters rowers without a coach. Use the internet to research ways to gain speed and comfort. Download the free Injury Prevention Starter on https://rowphysio.com/about/
- 25:00 How to self-treat back pain – Read Will Ruth’s collection of research studies on RSI in rowers
- 30:00 Sleep – to be effective you need an honest assessment of your current habits
- Sleep Study references:
37:00 Gear you can use to stay in good shape. Morph Collapsible Foam Roller The more you can understand your injury the better you can visualise and manage recovery.