Back before TV the cinemas were the main place people saw video news – called “newsreels” they were a great record of history. British Pathe has put a lot of its archive footage newsreel up online.
We did a search for rowing and sculling.
- Wadham College row from Oxford to London in 1950s
- 1914 film of crews at Putney plus possible New Zealand eight taking their boat inside.
- 73rd Boat Race 1921 – I love the fat Policeman standing by the boathouse
- 1932 Head of the River Race
- The 100th Boat Race 1954 – Oxford wins. This film has sound and the commentator questions the likelihood of the race continuing due to ‘expense’.
- Henley Royal Regatta in 1950 including Rob van Mesdag in the Diamonds
- Joe Burk USA wins the Diamonds in 1950’s Henley Royal Regatta.