Here’s your weekly opportunity to enjoy tales from others who also love rowing. This weekly round-up is for a short list of interesting, in-depth articles for you to read over the weekend.
And of course, if you have news that you think other readers would enjoy – send it to us via our contact page. Each day we tweet and retweet short rowing news links that our followers are sharing – to get these follow @rowperfect on Twitter.
This week in the rowing online news several stories caught our eye:
- New ergo record for lightweight men – great scores – but what interested us is that Henrik Stephansen wants to try for the heavyweight 1x slot at the Olympics. Other famous lightweights have tried, notably Australian Peter Antonie who won gold in 2x at 1992 Olympics having previously won L1x in 1986, New Zealander Philippa Baker who was 1991 WL1x gold medalist and got 4th in Olympics in W2x in 1992 followed by W2x golds in 93 & 94 and Scot Peter Haining who was triple gold medalist in L1x and went heavy for 1996, few get close to an A final.
The dream of Stephansen is to race at the Olympic Games and as the lightweight single is not an Olympic event, Stephansen is looking to qualify for London in the open single. In Denmark lightweight rowing is very competitive with the two Olympic lightweight boats for men, the lightweight double and lightweight four, hard to break into. Already these two boats have qualified for London and are stacked full of 2008 Olympic medallists including three-time Olympic Champion, Eskild Ebbesen.
- And a new activity for your athletes on training camp. the Central RPC squad in New Zealand not only kept their nimble fingers out of trouble, they made themselves a new bit of kit – ponchos!
- Lastly, Rowperfect received the following email, please get in touch with email@example.com if you can offer a boat or helmsmen to her team for the Women’s Head of the River Race.
My name is Azia Lafleur, I am a rower of Real Club Mediterráneo (Málaga, Andalucía, Spain). My club is of international distinction and one of the best of our country.
We have won many competitions such as:
- Campeonato de España (Gerona) Gold (4x)
- Campeonato de España (Galicia) Gold (1x) Silver (4x) Bronze (4x)
- Campeonato de España de Fondo (Galicia) Gold (4x)
- Campeonato de España (Sevilla) Silver (2x)
- Campeonato de Andalucía Gold (1x, 2x, 2-, 4x)
- Copa de Rey (Campeonato de España por Autonomías) Silver (2x, 4x, 8+) Bronze (4x)
- Copa Primavera (Asturias) Gold (1x) Silver (4x)
- Regatas de liga (Sevilla) Gold (1x, 2x, 4x) Silver (1x, 2x, 4x) Bronze (1x, 2x, 4x, 8+)
Our team is competing in the Women´s Head of the River Race on the 3rd of March 2012, in London.
I am writing to inquire about the possibility of renting one of your boats (8+) for us to use in the competition, and a helmsman to accompany us.
I thank you in advance for your serious consideration and await your favorable reply.
Kindest regards, Azia Lafleur, Real Club Mediterráneo