Learning to row has two participants, you and your rowing club coach. Being a beginner rower means you have things to learn. Rowperfect resources help to shortcut your path to accurate information. Get going now!
Here we collate resources for both to help you get the best outcomes.
How to find a rowing club
- Great Britain rowing club directory
- USA Find a Club
- Australia (Click here and scroll down to the Find a Club app, type in your postcode.)
- Canada join a provincial rowing association
- New Zealand Rowing Club Directory
Rowing coach resources for beginners
- A manifesto to improve rowing for beginners by Jim Flood
- British Rowing Technique by Rosie Mayglothling
- How to run a learn to row/scull course and make money for your club – e book written by Rebecca Caroe
- Balance for Beginner Rowers – how to teach boat balance skills by Duncan Holland
- Balance – creating rowing and sculling boat balance by Jim Flood
- Coaching the coxswain – for the coach who has not coxed by Chelsea Dommert
- An Exercise to help scullers get their blades off the water by Duncan Holland
- Games and Challenges for Young Rowers by Duncan Holland
- Mike Spraklen’s Rowing Technique
- Teaching sculling to beginners the first lessons by Mike Sullivan
- RowingChat podcast interview with Matt Rostron from London Youth Rowing – probably the best community rowing model in the UK
- How to retain beginner rowers in your club – video webinar. Check out the notes below the video for a summary of the discussion and useful links.
Beginner Rowing Athlete Resources
- Rowing Canada article about How to Get Started trying rowing, different types of rowing and ways to get involved in the sport.
- Rowing blisters and skin injuries – treatment, prevention and cure by Raf Wyatt
- Rowing gloves – designed for rowers by rowers
- The Ergonomics of Rowing – understanding everything that affects your boat by Jim Flood
- Rowing and Sculling DVD – by Paul Thompson watch top rowers and learn from them
- Effective Sculling DVD – World and Olympic champions filmed and their technique explained by Peter Cookson. Supported by FISA World Rowing [Sold Out]
What’s missing? Let us know in the comments if you want to know things and we haven’t supplied them on this page.